Xenophon's Legacy

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Hill03

I’m going to have my class read an excerpt of an account from 1890 of the surrender of the Nez Perce Indian, Chief Joseph. It’s from War-Path and Bivouac: or, The Conquest of the Sioux by John F. Finerty. The first sentence starts out: “General Howard, marching conscientiously in pursuit of Joseph, over a difficult country, formed a junction with General Sturgis about the 10th of September, but it was then too late to intercept the Indian Xenophon.” Is the implication essentially that Joseph was a great military tactician? Seems like the most immediate information online talks about Xenophon’s place as a historian and philosopher, but perhaps at other points in time his main legacy was related to his military knowledge.
    Thanks.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Sorry about the slow reply!

I expect this a reference to the famous “March to the Sea” in which Xenophon participated and which he recorded in Book IV of his “Anabasis.” 10,000 Greek soldiers were stranded in Persian territory after a battle, and they had to fight their way out over hundreds of miles. Does the context of the passage lend itself to this interpretation?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.