WW II US Prosecutions of Citizens for Sedition

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jim

After following the two lectures by Prof. Hunt Tooley about WW II (excellent lectures that ask questions about motives of leaders, and note purposeful manipulation of public opinion by leaders), I remembered a former client of my father visiting my father and being introduced to me. After he went on his way my father related to me this mans case.

During WW II my father, an attorney, defended the man against charges for sedition. He was convicted and sent to prison. I do not remember the clients name. My father’s name is Harry J Schaeffer (he died in 1963). My father’s office was in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I have never read anything about people prosecuted for sedition during WW II. Have any of the historians at Liberty Classroom read books or articles about such prosecutions?

The man’s writings were inflammatory for sure: FDR has a perfect neck for a rope, etc. Yet, is not that an exercise of free speech. His speech was only dangerous to himself not public officials. His wife was well off but declined to fund an appeal because she was afraid someone would attack and kill her husband because of his writings.

jim

I was able to find a notorious WW II Sedition Trial that was undertaken because FDR pushed a reluctant Attorney General to use it against FDR war critics.

http://iamthewitness.com/doc/A.Mockery.of.Justice-The.Great.Sedition.Trial.of.1944.htm

This was not the trial in which my father defended a man against charges for his publications.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.