Which edition of Thucydides is best?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    cenglish211

There’s dozens of translations on Amazon. Are some better than others?
    http://www.amazon.com/Thucydides/e/B000AQ3ND0

gutzmank
    Participant

Unless you know Greek geography, the Landmark Thucydides–with its excellent maps–must be preferred.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I agree that you’d need to make sure you have an edition with a set of good maps unless you find something online to consult regularly. As far as translations go, I’ve used Crawley the most, but don’t have a strong opinion. In my opinion, the choice of translation is much more critical for works of poetry.

gutzmank
    Participant

This isn’t exactly on the topic, but Thucydides’ Greek is very difficult. I have to admire anyone who has mastered it so well as to be able to translate the book.

cenglish211

Thank you for the suggestions. I went with the Landmark editions of Herodotus and Thucydides. I thought it’d be fruitful to read both. Reading either one without the footnotes and detailed maps would have been pointless, I now realize.

gutzmank
    Participant

Be sure you start with Herodotus, because Thucydides distinguishes his approach from that of Herodotus. It will be good to know what he means, and to be able to read his book with what he says about that in mind.

wgrommel

Actually, there aren’t dozens of translations, only about six. Many of these are reprints; for instance, 978-0226801063 is a reprint of Thomas Hobbes’s translation from 1629. Hobbes was a great writer, but his English is of course a bit archaic, so many people find it hard to follow. More recent translations are Crawley (1903), Rex Warner (Penguin, 1972?), Lattimore (Hackett, 1998), and Martin Hammond (Oxford, 2009). I haven’t seen all of these, but I’ve always liked Warner, FWIW.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.