War is good for the economy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

My friend told me “war is good for the economy” yesterday. “It causes a stimulus to the economy as we have to rebuild” and he wouldn’t listen to the broken window fallacy. He said “its not a fallacy”.

Just thought Id mention it. You cant talk to some people.

cboyack
    Keymaster

The last time I checked, wars only destroy.

Ha! That’s a quote fron the song with Hayek and Keynes.

twmmah

Capital formation drives an economy. Profits of industry attract capital, and capital makes profits which attract capital investment. Tell Romney there is a difference between spending money and capital formation. Romney thinks if the government stops pending money, they don’t invest, we will have a collapse. War is only good if it blows up Washington.

negligible91

You should tell him to smash all the windows in his house to help the economy out. If enough people do this, maybe the unemployment rate will fall and our 15 trillion debt will disappear!

woods
    Participant

He thinks rebuilding stuff we already had is just as good as building new stuff?

Those that believe war is good for the economy are the same people that believe in the broken window fallacy

See Frederic Bastiat and Henry Hazlett (Economics in one lesson) for a refutation of this senseless argument.

Don’t like to read? Check out these videos

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.