Unions and violence

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    akashdan

Is it fair to say that law enforcement has often looked the other way when it comes to union violence (against strikebreakers or against firms’ property rights for example)?

How prevalent has this been? Have there been legal challenges to this dereliction of duty on the part of law enforcement? I’d be interested in any other reading recommendations.

mpelkowski
    gutzmank
    Participant

Certainly one can turn on the television coverage of almost any strike and see “scabs” (i.e., people willing to work for the compensation being offered by the affected business) being physically threatened by picketers. I can’t recall ever hearing of anyone being prosecuted for this behavior, which meets the common-law definition of “assault.”

My father had two relatives killed in the Roosevelt years by union advocates for opposing a United Mineworkers campaign to unionize a mine in Idaho. No one was ever prosecuted.

woods
    Participant

I don’t know of any such legal challenges. You might find some interesting material in this useful article: http://mises.org/daily/3553

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.