Toastmasters Speech Topic on Freedom/Liberty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    blythjw

Could someone help me with a topic for my next Toastmaster’s speech (in two weeks)? I would like to introduce my audience (about 20 club members) to liberty/freedom and can use a topic suggestion that would enable me to scratch the surface for a group that likely is not aware of the liberty or freedom alternative to statism and crony capitalism. My goal is to introduce the topic and plant the seed and get them thinking and open to libertarianism when the reset finally happens. My speech time is 6 to 8 minutes. I know, not much time, but its a start!

with such a short time I’m not sure how I would proceed but you might check out some of Ron Paul’s shorter speeches/remarks for ideas, or some of Tom Woods’s pithier remarks. Both have speeches on youtube.

I’m going to add a couple other recommendations. First, the part of this talk that begins around the 2 minute mark, which is great general advice.

The other tip I’d add is since your talk is so short, use it to introduce people to the argument in two to three books that you found most persuasive. The idea would be to get them to conclude “that book sounds interesting, I should check it out.” For example, you might choose Rollback, Ron Paul’s “Revolution,” and Rothbard’s “The Ethics of Liberty” as books to touch on and make sound compelling enough for normal people to check out, without sounding so alien they dismiss them as crankish before they check it out (the biggest obstacle to the liberty movement is that its enemies, having control over the education-information system, has people well-trained to dismiss out of hand certain names/people/ideas without even looking into them. Trust me, I know. Some time maybe I’ll tell the story of how long it took before I started examining Rothbardian ideas for myself, and why).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.