Thoughts on BCE and CE replacing BC and AD

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alexboler
    Participant

I’m looking for some thoughts on the use and origination of BCE and CE. Are they created purely out of secularization, or are there other reasons? How well are they taking over in academia, etc.? And any other insight anyone might have. Thanks.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Alex, as best I can tell this change (which has been underway for at least 20 years) is purely from secularization, and it’s now to the point where most undergraduate college students have probably never had textbook that uses B.C. and A.D. A few years ago I wrote supplemental website material for a mainstream publisher’s textbook, and the publisher insisted I use BCE and CE. A few weeks ago I moderated a panel at a conference in which one of the student presenters told me his professor had essentially forced him to use BCE and CE.

The different markers have never really seemed defensible to me because of their inconsistency, i.e. denying that Jesus is special, but still basing the dating system off the traditional year of his birth.

alexboler
    Participant

I appreciate your reply. It seems weird to me, too: using Common Era is just a roundabout way of referring to Anno Domini. CE is pegged to AD, 1 for 1.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.