The Pyramids of Giza & the Sphinx preceding the Egyptians

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Hello Professor Jewell,

Do you know if any work has been done to determine whether or not the Egyptian dynasties in any era had advanced enough in their knowledge of astronomy to have been able to align the pyramind of Giza to the constellation of Orion’s belt or to align the shafts going into the pyramids with the northern star.

And what do you make of the hypothesis that the Sphinx is actually preceded the egyptian dynasties?

I read in a book that there is geological evidence of water erosion on the sphinx and for that to be possible the sphinx would have had to have been built at a time when there was a lot of rainfall in that region which would date it back much further than it is currently.

edit: I apologize I should have put this in the other forum.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

All I really know about this is what I saw in a documentary on the Smithsonian Channel called “Secrets of the Sphinx” or something like that. It rehearsed different theories, including the one about the water erosion. Apparently only a very few amateur archaeologists hold to this position; they believe the sphinx was originally a representation of a lion that later got re-carved into a human face.

As for lining up the pyramids with constellations, I think that is pretty speculative but not out of the question.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.