The best way to learn Western Civilization

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

For a long time, history was the subject I least cared about. It was only until recently that I realized how important it was to know this stuff. I made a new years resolution to have a really good understanding of Western Civilization. I’m learning from Ron Paul Curriculum, Liberty Classroom, and the Hillsdale free online courses. So I’m glad that there are plenty of good reliable resources I can use to help me with this.
    I went from knowing absolutely nothing to knowing quite a lot more. I still have a long way to go but these 6 months have been pretty good so far.

I found that learning about ancient Greece and Rome was easiest because we stick with those regions then we can break down the history into broader periods. Like with Greece (Mycenaean, Dark Ages, Archaic, Classical, and Hellenistic) and Rome (Period of Kings, Republic, and Empire) It’s so helpful to organize key people and events like this and get the story straight.

But after the fall of the Roman empire it seems to go all over. We move from region to region. We’ll start talking about some of England’s history in a lesson then talk about France next for a bit then back to England again 2 weeks later. I thought maybe it might be easier to break down the history of England, France, Spain, etc… the way we broke down Ancient Greece and Rome. Focusing on one region at a time.

I’m sure there must be a good reason to present the lessons like these where we hop from country to country. But do you think it’s a good idea to look at the countries one at a time and break the history down into broader periods?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

The reason we deal with Greeks by themselves or Romans by themselves is that they were distinct civilizations for centuries. But in the Middle Ages, political units like France, England, etc., were part of a common civilization, so it makes sense to talk about them as a group. The only time this might get confusing as far as I can tell is when you’re trying to learn about the particular political history of a region. The broader cultural and religious features are shared for the most part.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.