1) The Federal Government has done far more harm than the state governments.
2) More local government is more apt to be like what we want than more distant government.
3) The Federal Government is controlled by completely unrepresentative people — 9 Harvard Law and Yale Law graduates on the Supreme Court, permanent DC residents in the administrative agencies, etc.
4) Federal policymaking tends to be by people who never were elected and never have to answer to anyone elected. That’s why we got 30 years of forced busing, a new mandate about lightbulbs, a 21-year drinking age, a 1.5-gallon toilet mandate, Obamacare regulations stripping millions of people of their health policies, a ban on prayer in public schools, etc. None of these things would have been imposed by elected officials.
5) Federal officials take an oath to uphold the Constitution, which reserves control over most of what they do to the states. If they’ll lie taking that oath, they’ll lie about anything.