technological implementation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johnhenry07

Dr. Herbener,
    I was hoping you could recommend a resource or two that elaborates the point that technological implementation requires much more than simply the comprehension and dissemination of technological ‘know-how.’ I was reading through Mises’ Theory and History where he is refuting Marxism, and he makes the important point that it is not simply the lack of knowledge that prevents poor countries from implementing and enjoying the benefits of certain technologies. Rather it’s the fact that they have not saved and invested enough to allow resources to be used in these new lines of production (he doesn’t say that explicitly, but that’s what I gathered). This is a simple enough point (which is all the more appropriate today in the digital age, with ideas and ‘know-how’ at your fingertips at virtually every corner of the globe), but I would really enjoy reading something that expounds this point further, perhaps with some examples. If you can think of any resources off the top of your head, great, if not, not big deal. Thanks!

jmherbener
    Participant

You might look at P.T. Bauer’s books: Equality, the Third Worlds, and Economic Delusion; and Rhetoric and Reality. He argues that foreign aid does not improve standards of living, even if used to create technologically advanced assets, because the use of the funds has not been directed by entrepreneurship via economics calculation.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.