Teaching opportunity and assistance needed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rickmontes
    Participant

. I recently enrolled in Liberty classroom and have been enjoying it immensely. I graduated recently from Western Connecticut State University where I had the pleasure of studying with Kevin Gutzman. I was just offered a part time teaching position at a local community college Western civilization to 1648. I will be given a text book to use but can supplement with anything I choose My familiarity is mainly with early American constitution. I have noted some of the sources used here in Liberty classroom. Could you suggest more sources that I can utilize? I value your expertise and want to make sure my students get good information.

Rick
    Congratulations on the appointment.
    Where does the text book start its western civilization overview?

rickmontes
    Participant

Thank you. I will get the text book tomorrow. Any pointers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

rickmontes
    Participant

The Text books are: Western Civilization, the continuing Experiment Noble, Strauss, Osheim, Neuschel, Cohen & Roberts Vol. 1 2005
    Spartacus by Howard Fast
    Spartacus and the Slave Revolt by Brent Shaw

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Congratulations, Rick!

The textbook’s title is revealing . . . the reference to a civilization as an “experiment” is a sign that it is probably written from a left/progressive viewpoint. Two books on Spartacus (assigned to you for a survey?) seem like overkill as well.

In my experience many survey texts shortchange the Hebrews, so you may need to supplement a bit there.

If you could give the main text a quick skimming upon arrival and let me know your impressions, it would help me figure out what supplemental material to recommend.

rickmontes
    Participant

Dr. J,

The book does not seem to bad at first glance. Here is the required syllabus:
    week 1-2: Introduction Theories of History, Rome and its Relation to the World
    week 3: Early Middle Ages
    week 4: Feudalism
    week 5-6: Towns, trade ,Universities
    week 7: The turbulent 14th Century
    week 8:-9: The Renaissance
    week 10-11: The Reformation
    week 12: Proto industrialization as a step to a global world.
    week 13: Absolutism and the nation state in contrast to other systems of governance
    week 14-15: Limited monarchy and the origins of liberal democracy.

It seems like it glosses over many important aspects ie.The Greek’s, Hebrews Crusades etc.. Any suggestions on supplemental readings, movies, articles?

I appreciate the suggestions. I want to give a first rate course.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I’m very surprised this text doesn’t devote any significant space to the Greeks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Western Civ text that ignores them. You can do without a lot of attention to the Crusades if your time is limited.

Give me another day or two and I’ll throw some ideas at you. Extremely hectic schedule at the moment.

rickmontes
    Participant

Thank you, I appreciate it. The book does cover the Greeks but the syllabus I was given skips them and much more. I did purchase the Sumer First’s book and intend on using it as well as the Phillip of Macedon
    book.

rickmontes
    Participant

Is there any good material that would explain the difference between Western and Eastern Civilizations?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Rick, I haven’t forgotten about you (see my “Back in the Saddle” post from earlier today). I will do my best to give you a substantive reply this weekend. Thanks so much for your patience.

rickmontes
    Participant

No problem. I just got the bad news that the class I was going to teach got canceled for lack of enrollment. I am very disappointed. Oh well, I am sure God has another plan for me. Anyway, I will study Western Civilization so I can be ready when the next opportunity comes along. I look forward to your reply.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear that, Rick. I had two online classes canceled this summer after spending my entire Memorial Day weekend working on my course shells. It’s very frustrating, I know. I hope you get another opportunity very soon, and if so, we’ll be here to help.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.