State controlled education

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    patrick t mcd
    Participant

I just read this article. http://mises.org/daily/1406

I work in education. I really want to discuss further if everyone thinks public education is really all that bad. I agree with many libertarian views and am hoping that my profession is not part of the problem. We do insist upon early intervention with students (especially in the areas or reading and mathematics). Now, I understand that schools spend WAY to much money per pupil, but are these programs and services we provide in the school really destroying the sancitity of the family?

I never tell a parent how to raise their children, I just tell them if we need to intervene on their academics. If after an evaluation they are deemed eligible for special education then they go into special education and receive intense (sometimes one on one) interventions. I know this costs a lot of money, but does everyone here really think that it is destroying the family?

The district I work in is about 50% white and 50% black. There are hundreds of studies out there suggesting that if a black student is not reading by the time they are in 3rd grade their jail rate rate rises to about 70%. That is HUGE.

Let me know your thoughts…..

derosa8

McDermott, I am a high school math teacher and quite new to the liberty movement, but here is my two cents. Any indictments or critiques of public education are not personal attacks on you or other skilled teachers. Rather, they are an attack on the wasteful bureaucracy and awful policies so often associated with public schools (tenure for life, useless regulations, enormous pensions, union-negotiated starting salaries). Your skills as a teacher are certainly needed in the world. The point is that a freer market for schooling would still require good teaching and would weed out lots of the bad garbage and wasteful spending that weighs us down.

Also, it would foolish to say that public schools destroy all families. However, the main point is that MORE CHOICE for families regarding their child’s education and jobs they can work at a young age would make them better off. The market can provide for people’s needs when they can cast their vote by choosing to pay for an option in the marketplace. But when they are forced by government mandate into a single option (unless they have a bunch of extra money for private school), there is no room for the market to work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.