Some questions about majoring in economics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chrislw324

I’ve already taught myself so much about economics on my own for the past 2 years or so. I’m deliberating whether I should go ahead and major in economics or continue to learn and study it on my own as I have been doing.

I’m looking for some information should I decide to.
    What kind of opportunities can having a degree in economics open up for me? Will having Austrian views close any of those doors? What can you do with a bachelor’s degree in economics versus a master’s degree or P.h.D.? What can I do with a degree in economics as an Austrian?

jmherbener
    Participant

A bachelor’s degree in economics provides entry into most business careers. It is especially helpful for careers in finance. Entry-level positions in think-tanks can be taken by economics majors. Economics is the top undergraduate major for law school.

A Master’s degree in economics opens up mid-level business careers, especially in financial markets. Mid-level think-tank positions are also open to holders of Master’s in economics. It’s possible to teach economics at community colleges with a Master’s degree.

Ph.D. economists work as forecasters in businesses, especially financial markets, and hold academic positions at universities and colleges.

Here’s the American Economic Association page on careers for economics majors:

https://www.aeaweb.org/students/Careers.php

Our economics majors at Grove City College, who receive a thoroughly Austrian education in economics, enter into the same type of careers and graduate studies as non-Austrian economists.

Chrislw324

Thanks. I appreciate the help.
    I have been considering Grove City College.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.