Selgin vs. Solerno Debate

• This topic has 1 voice and 0 replies.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    andrew.bonk

I generally avoid comments sections on blogs, articles, etc., but this one caught my attention.

The comment came from the George Selgin article critical of Salerno’s appearance on the Tom Woods Show. Salerno comments that “sticky prices” are exaggerated and gives a few explanatory examples. Salerno’s point was that all smart entrepreneurs can anticipate changes in markets and can move prices accordingly.

Now to the comment, “How do Salerno et al. respond to the criticism that I believe you (and Horwitz 2000) raise about the asymmetry some Austrians have regarding monetary induced inflation/deflation: If ‘price stickiness’ isn’t much of an obstacle for market actors during a (monetary-induced) deflation, why aren’t prices just as able to quickly and costlessly respond to increases in the money supply by the central bank, eroding the foundation of ABCT?”

To which Selgin responds, “So far as I’m aware, Scott, none have ever offered any response to it. Perhaps they are too busy trying to paint us as a couple of would-be central bankers!”

Below is how I would answer to the comment, am I on the right track? How would you respond to this comment?

This criticism downplays the impact of changes in a “monetary induced deflation”. A deflation of this nature would either be (1) a deliberate policy that pointlessly reduced the money supply and altered the productive structure or (2) a credit tightening that stops a previous monetary expansion which liquidates the unsound investments, bringing in a recessionary (yet necessary) adjustment period similar to scenario one. So yes, as the commenter mentioned, prices would adjust quickly, but in either case there would be a recession brought upon by monetary forces that alter the structure of production.

Likewise, prices are responding to an central bank increase in the monetary supply. Examples of this are the housing market between 2000-2006 and the tech stock bubble of the 1990’s. Bubble formation and artificial lengthening of the productive structure are inevitable responses to artificial increases of the money supply. However, the process is not “costless” because of the malinvestments to the productive structure that must eventually be eliminated.

Selgins article: http://www.freebanking.org/2015/03/20/where-was-the-tom-woods-show-when-hayek-needed-it/

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.