2012 Elections in Light of Rise & Fall of Civilizations

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    BONNIE.ANDERSON
    Participant

Hi, I just want to let you know that I have begun working through the lectures on ancient civilizations and I have gotten as far as the Greek Philosophers. I am learning so much! Many things I’ve always been curious about, but never fit the pieces together.

I am finding the perspective I’ve already gained on the rise and fall of civilizations has given me some peace about the cycles of change operating in our current political scene.

Although in present-day terms, things seem grim indeed, it’s part of such a larger picture. Having an overview of ancient cultures is helping me to be more calm, and reasonable about what is going down.

Thank you for an excellent lecture series, and the PowerPoints are really helpful too (I’m more of a visual learner). Right now I’m trying to cruise through the lectures, but eventually I plan to choose areas to dig deeper, and use the additional resources listed to accomplish that. I am hungry to learn all the history I can absorb.

Bonnie Anderson

Jason Jewell
    Participant

I’m glad you’re finding the lectures worthwhile. If you are interested in connecting what’s happening now to the idea of civilizations’ “life cycles,” you’d probably enjoy Jacques Barzun’s “From Dawn to Decadence”: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060928832/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=0060928832&linkCode=as2&tag=thewesttrad-20

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.