Recommended Colleges for a Student?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kolbesdad

Hello,
    I am finishing up my Junior year in high school. I have very good test scores and am homeschooled. I have a deep liking to both Political Economy and Finance. I have read many of Mr. Woods books including my personal favorite The Church and the Market. I am currently taking a Principles of Macro and have finished my Micro and am about to CLEP it. If anyone on here has recommendations for good colleges that either teach Austrian Economics or at least are partial to it or believe in teaching all systems and theories and provide good discussion. Of course, Hillsdale, University of Dallas, and George Mason stand out, but I am wondering if you have any other good colleges. I however, do not want to attend a college where they are polarizing on ANY side of the Political Spectrum. My goal is to eventually get a Phd. in either Finance or Macroeconimc theory. I truly appreciate any help or suggestions you may have. Thank you very much for reading this rather long and loose dissertation/question.
    Kolbe Conger

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Grove City may be your best bet, if studying at a Christian college appeals to you. The economics faculty is 100% Austrian.

tprovince08

I second Grove City College. It certainly couldn’t hurt to study under Prof. Herbener. I’d also check out Loyola University, New Orleans. As I understand it, the faculty there is virtually all Austrian and certainly 100% free market oriented. At Loyola, you’d have a chance to study with “Mr. Libertarian” himself – Prof. Walter Block. Of course, Dr. Block would say that the title of “Mr. Libertarian” will always belong to Murray Rothbard.

Speaking of Rothbard (faculty and other members can correct me if I’m wrong), if you are more inclined towards the work of Hayek, then GMU would be a good place to look. But if you’re more of a Misesian/Rothbardian, then you might want to seriously consider Loyola, New Orleans, as Rothbard was Dr. Block’s mentor and I believe Prof. Block even got a chance to meet Mises himself.

Other schools to consider would be Troy University and (oddly enough) Texas Tech University.

Kolbesdad

Texas Tech?

I live 45 minutes from Loyola NO, so I may check that out.

Kolbesdad

Thanks so far for the suggestions!

I now am looking into Loyola New Orleans, Grove City College, and Troy

Someone told me that Wheeling Jesuit was very pro-Austrian and that Mr. Woods once taught there or visited there. Anyone know anything about that?

tprovince08

Not sure about Wheeling Jesuit, but I’m glad to hear you’re considering Loyola NO and Grove City College. I’d give my right arm to study under Prof. Block or Prof. Herbener. Seriously, though, you should also look into Texas Tech, as they have the Free Market Institute. I’m not sure exactly how Austrian it is and I believe it caters more to graduate students, but at the very least it would be nice to study at a school with an institute devoted to free markets. Dr. Benjamin Powell is the Director of that institute and has appeared on the Tom Woods Show once or twice, so it might be good to try to get in touch with him.

Kolbesdad

Ok, Thank you very much for your help! Both Loyola NO and GCC are looking good. I may try to visit loyola later this month and see if i could meet the great Prof. Block!

gutzmank
    Participant

Note that Hillsdale is and UD at least was heavily Straussian. Straussianism is a peculiar variant of political philosophy/American history which is closely aligned with neoconservatism.

Kolbesdad

Would Straussian be closely related to one being Jingoistic?

gutzmank
    Participant

In general, Straussians favor a radically interventionist foreign policy. They also tend to identify the US Government with the Good and True.

My point isn’t that everyone at either of those places is Straussian, but that Straussians dominate their faculties. At Hillsdale, this starts with the president.

Kolbesdad

Ahh, ok.

Getting ready for my applications this fall. Loyola NOLA looking like the favorite

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.