Puritan Society & New England

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Dr. Woods & esteemed Scholars,

At your most opportune convenience, could you please offer your knowledge or point me towards resources that have insights into the following questions:

How significant was the effect of the Glorious Revolution on society and colonial government within the Puritan colonies of British North America?

In what ways did the colonial experiences with British authorities through the reign of Charles II, the Dominion of New England, and the Glorious Revolution influence political traditions within the northern colonies and their disposition towards Parliament and the royal government?

Do you know of any good primary source accounts of the Province of Massachusetts Bay Charter of 1691 and how it was received by the people of the merged colonies?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Your humble & most obedient servant,
    Sam Chick

Ecull336

Hey, in what manner did the Puritans find the Dutch morals to be objectionable? I’m taking a guess that part of it was their ability to trade with anyone who had valuable resources.

woods
    Participant

Eric and Penman, my apologies for taking so long to get back to you; I actually didn’t understand how the forums worked. I was just clicking on the most recent post, it turns out, and not looking at all the topics that had been posted on.

I would recommend looking at Murray Rothbard’s four-volume history of colonial America, Conceived in Liberty, which has a good treatment of the long-term repercussions in the colonies of the Glorious Revolution. You can find a one-volume edition of Rothbard’s work online here: http://mises.org/document/3006

On the morals of the Dutch, a key issue was Sabbath observance. Puritan and non-Puritan Englishmen alike were scandalized by the Dutch treatment of the Sabbath, which many Englishmen said was treated as if it were just another day, and on which men did not necessarily abstain from labor.

Ecull336

In the one-volume edition, they must filter information to make it shorter, right? What standard influences their decision of what makes the cut? I’d much rather read the full story.

Ecull336

I’m speaking in general terms as you probably wouldn’t know the actual standard they used in this particular text.

woods
    Participant

Eric, no, they just made it into a gigantic book, with thinner paper. Unabridged.

Thank you, Dr. Woods. Please don’t apologize: you’re very busy, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to be able to present questions in the first place.

I’ll have to add that one to the stack. Looks fairly hefty… that may have to be my vacation reading material. Any suggestions for books with a countervailing view that can be used to compare and contrast to Conceived in Liberty?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.