Personal Responsibility

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    totino

So something I’ve been thinking about lately is the basic idea of freedom/liberty. The idea that people should be able to do as they please assuming it doesn’t violate someone else’s rights, etc.
    But then I often wonder, can society become too liberal (today’s definition of liberal), to the point where we are now. For example:
    Back 50 or 60 years ago you had kids born out of wedlock well below 10%. Depending on the race nowadays, we’re above 50%. And in my opinion that’s one of the big reasons for the bad things happening in society. In contributes to the poor education system. It contributes to poverty, crime, etc.

I guess the question is, what is the solution here? How do we balance freedom yet prevent such a liberalized (again today’s definition) society where people aren’t owning up to their actions and duties? And sure we can argue about what “duties” people have to themselves or their families, but I’m just looking for a general answer.

I’m aware you can’t regulate morality, nor do I think we should. But how do do you have a free society yet work against what the US has grown into nowadays? How could you make that change?

Hopefully that made sense.

maester_miller
    Participant

The reason that illegitimacy rates have skyrocketed is because of the welfare system and the “war on poverty.” The way to enhance personal responsibility is to eliminate the government safety net, which encourages moral hazard and essentially makes irresponsibility more preferable than it otherwise would be.

ronmicle
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.