Origins of Palestinians

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

So I know that there were a population of muslims,christians and even jews living in the part of Ottoman Syria that is known as “Palestine”.

Where did the name “Palestine” come from? When was it first used?

What are the origins of the group that we know today as Palestinians?

basellars051

This is a website that gives a pretty good overview of Palestine and its role in the Bible. After reading through this page I think it will answer most if not all of your questions. Thanks, http://focusonjerusalem.com/thebibleandpalestine.htm

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Aristocra, the name “Palestine” is linked to the ancient Philistines. In the modern era, the British used the name to refer to the region in the 19th and 20th centuries that they later occupied after the Ottoman defeat in World War I.

But what about the Arab people who live in that region.

I saw one video on YT by CaspianReport(who I consider pretty good about reporting world events and history) and he explained that the Palestinian People are actually Jordanians(which technically makes them Syrians, because Jordan was created from part of Ottoman Syria).

I know that two political strains of Pan-Arab and Pro-Nationalist have exist within Palestinian politics, but was the concept of a “Palestinian Identity” a response by local Arabs to Zionism?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

My understanding is that there’s no significant self-conscious “Palestinian identity” until the influx of Jewish immigrants and declaration of a Jewish state.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.