Media consolidation and a call for regulation

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jchief4040

A media system wants ostensible diversity that conceals an actual uniformity. – Joseph Goebbels

The media is only as liberal as the conservative corporations that own them. Media consolidation I believe is a real threat to our democracy.

The media sensationalizes and entertains; a subsidiary of corporate America. The media will not cover stories of tremendous public moment but will overfocus on trivial stories that don’t have any resonance at all (see example below).

How ironic that we live in a time where we have more instant access to information than ever before but not necessarily better informed.

There is an illusion of choice that’s maintained when you have over 100+ channels to choose from with so many labels. But the owners are a handful of 5 or 6 different companies.

But what this documentary (which otherwise brings up so many great points worthy of discussion) does not mention about that “top 1%” is that in that particular group are your participants of the Bilderberg Group which is an annual, unofficial, invitation-only conference of approximately 120 to 140 guests from North America and Western Europe, most of whom are people of influence (and affluence). Their secret meetings are not only secret but are guarded under a level of security that would make a king jealous yet is met with minimal global media coverage. Of course, among the notable members of the Bilderberg Group, are the world’s major central bankers, politicians, and directors of large businesses (read: multinational corporations). Their activities influence our economic policies and I think it’s important people know that these are the key members who are connected with both the Federal Reserve and the International Monetary Fund who want to maintain the status quo for their own benefit. But we’re to look the other way. Nothing to see here, right? Remember absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ever since Ron Paul’s campaign in 2008 I have been a fervent supporter of the Austrian School’s (the fastest growing school of economic thought, mind you) plan of lowering tax rates, cutting capital gains taxes to zero, reducing spending, sharply reducing regulations, and enacting sound monetary policy. But after seeing how Ron Paul was quickly wiped out of contention by the media I struggle to stay positive when our entire philosophy is kept out of public debate due to overwhelming bias in the mainstream media. If we are to reduce regulations I argue we must address this problem by furthering our efforts to reduce media consolidation in this country. Certain regulations are needed, right? Please share your thoughts on this issue. Also, consider a few examples below:

THIS MAKES ME FURIOUS! The very corporations that are narrowing the scope of debate in this country need to be reigned in, no?

DISCUSS!

jchief4040

Sorry I left out the actual documentary I was referring to 😉

jchief4040

I was lying in bed and, in thinking this over, I am thinking that the idea of pressing for decentralized media would be in agreement with my belief in more decentralized government and federalism. But I would like more input from the brilliant minds that are behind this website. I think someone could score more political points from the left if we emphasized the benefits of the few areas of regulation we DO believe in. Because when you mention “deregulation” to the average person many people get nervous about that word and quickly bring up Wall Street and, as I’ve demonstrated, the media as well. Is it time to usher in a new era of media decentralization? I believe it is. The Internet is becoming a new frontier of sorts to break through the barriers to knowledge that were once present in past decades but it’s not as influential yet on the masses as the current mainstream media (print, radio, television; all forms). Maybe that will change but I don’t have the patience to watch this unfold at a snails pace.

jchief4040

https://mises.org/Community/forums/p/26769/442779.aspx – this didn’t get touched on the Mises forums either. This is unfortunate.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.