McCarthyism and the Venona Cables

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sheyboer
    Participant

I recently listened and took notes on the lectures about Truman and Eisenhower and don’t recall much, if anything, said about Joseph McCarthy and the Second Red Scare. I’m curious as to your opinion about that topic. All of the textbooks I have looked into basically say that McCarthy was lying. However, Authors Larry Schweikart and Micahel Allen in their book, “A Patriot’s History of the United States,” provide several pieces of evidence that seems to vindicate McCarthy, at least in part. I also seem to recall something called the Venona Cables validating McCarthy. What do you think?

gutzmank
    Participant

They validated his general claim. Besides that, virtually everyone who was blackballed was an actual Communist.

Take a look at M. Stanton Evans’ McCarthy biography. Evans is an outstanding writer (and raconteur), and he has the goods.

woods
    Participant

Right. I would have said just what Kevin did. I have a chapter in my book The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History called “Yes, Communist Sympathizers Really Existed.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.