Key U.S. History Documents

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    swalsh81

not 100% sure which section to ask this in.

This is mainly a question for the professors.

A friend of mine has the opportunity to help put together a U.S. history and asked me if I could think of any key documents that should be included as reading in the course. They are already going to be using this book, http://www.amazon.com/The-Essential-American-Documents-Speeches/dp/B0055X4PMG#reader_B0055X4PMG but asked if I could think of anything else. The book appears to be your standard “patriotic” documents, speeches by Lincoln, Douglas MacArthur, etc.

Are there any specific other documents that should be read. possibly some specific, little read inauguration/farewell speeches, specific letters by Jefferson, etc.?

gutzmank
    Participant

How many do you want? What is his intended audience?

swalsh81

The intended audience is High School. I’m not sure how many they are shooting for in total, but I know that the current public school curriculum overlooks or purposefully leaves out some very good and important documents, anti-federalists for example. Just curious what the professors here would like to see in a high school classroom that would otherwise be left out.

gutzmank
    Participant

This is too broad a question for me to answer in detail. I would say that the Virginia Charters, Mayflower Compact, Winthrop’s “A Model of Christian Charity,” Locke’s “Fundamental Orders…,” and others along that line should be included. It’s really not difficult to come up with such a list. It would take a while, however.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.