Jacques Ellul

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    joshua_78

I was reviewing your bibliography, searching a different lecture, and noticed you referenced Jacques Ellul- whom is one of my favorite philosophers- for anarchy and Christianity. I’m curious of what you think of his works “The Technological Society” and “Propaganda”? I’ve always admired his tenacious approach towards explaining how various mediums have sway on our consciousness and his appreciation for individuality. Would you please remark on his role in anarchistic thought and offer the works of any other philosopher that embody similar views of the struggle of individualism Vs. collectivism? Thank you, Professor Casey, I love your courses and the insight you offer!

gerard.casey
    Participant

Dear joshua_78:

I’m afraid my response is going to disappoint you. I know of Jacques Ellul only in connection with his views on anarchy and Christianity. I’m not aware of his other works (or, at least, I wasn’t until you brought them to my attention) – so much to read, so little time! However, I’m very glad to have the referral and I’ll look them up and consult them as soon as I can.

You ask me to remark on other philosophers who have embodied similar views of the struggle of the individual vs collectivism: The lectures on Liberty’s Progress are my attempt to do just that in a broad historical context.

Please do revert to me if you would like to continue the conversation. If you add anything to the Forum, send me an email alert so that I can respond quickly. Write to gerard.casey@ucd.ie

Thank you so much for your kind remarks on my contributions. Because recordings are, of necessity, not live, one is always afraid that one is not connecting with one’s audience

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.