Jacksonian America

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    siabaa

Professors, I’m about to start another term at school and was wondering if y’all have any video lectures or reading material suggestions. Beyond what is here of course.

siabaa

Just got my text in today. “What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America – 1815-1848” by Daniel Walker Howe.

What a gigantic text! Haha, apparently won the Pulitzer Prize for History!

gutzmank
    Participant

On page 400, that book cites K[evin] R. Constantine Gutzman, “A Troublesome Legacy: James Madison and ‘The Principles of ’98,'” THE JOURNAL OF THE EARLY REPUBLIC 15 (1995), 569-89. Howe also wrote an endorsement on the back cover of the hardback edition of JAMES MADISON AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA.

gutzmank
    Participant

That’s a Whig version of the history of that period. A similarly slanted, standard account from the Democrats’ perspective is Watson’s LIBERTY AND POWER.

siabaa

It seems to be a really good book. I like how easily it flows. I’ll order Watson’s book as well but I’m finding myself crunched for time! Just a lot of information to absorb with the text and the lectures. I’ve been interested on a side note of a spiritual nature on the Second Great Awakening. I’m interested to know if there is a good history of protestant thought in America.

gutzmank
    Participant

Mark Noll’s A HISTORY OF CHRISTIANITY IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA is a great place to start. It pays significant attention to Catholics and a little to Orthodox, but is perforce overwhelmingly about Protestantism.

For narrower slices of the pie, just ask, and I’ll try to give recommendations.

siabaa

Thank you! I’ve added that to the wish list as well. I’ve recently decided not to take the next term for school. The family and I should be relocating to Florida and I’m just worn out from all the course work! I got my A.S. in General Education with a History focus back in may and maybe I’m just a little burned out! Normally I have a week or two between each term and other than that I’m in school full time. I started back in August of 2012 and have been at it the whole time. I imagine it is much easier to go to school when one is younger and before they start out in life. Haha, being an adult learner is such a juggling exercise!

That all said, it frees up a lot of time to tackle my personal reading list. I’m going to order the two books you have mentioned this month along with Albion’s Seed. I’d like to read those in the coming months. I’ll let you know if I a particular group peeks my interest. From what was mentioned in Howe’s work I’m interested in the Anti-Mission Baptists, Millerites, and Seventh-Day Adventists.

I’m interested in those groups because I got the feeling that the Second Great Awakening was generally a departure from heavy theology and an embrace of emotional appeal and delivery. The groups I’ve mentioned seemed as though they rejected the Arminianism that was so popular at the time. Something about going against the majority draws my attention.

Maybe I’ve gotten this all wrong and mixed up but I find the research and study that comes from interest most of the fun! Haha.

gutzmank
    Participant

Since that is your particular area of interest, I recommend Hatch’s THE DEMOCRATIZATION OF AMERICAN CHRISTIANITY strongly.

You’re welcome.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.