Introductory reading?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    shaneclark11

I have a nephew who is interested in doing some reading on political philosophy. He wants something that is fairly general in approach, rather than ideologically targeted. And he’d like the reading to be 1-2 books that have a selection of good/best thoughts from across the spectrum on political science and philosophy.

Can anyone think of some good, generalist anthologies of this type of thing? Something along the lines of a Norton Anthology, only for the political. Preferably, this would be written at the level that a bright 17 year-old homeschooled kid could enjoy and understand.

Many thanks.

Kolbesdad

Richard Maybury’s Liberal? Conservative or Confused? would be a great book

gerard.casey
    Participant

I’ll take a lot at my bookshelves when I am next in my university room and see if there is anything there that would fit the bill.

Gerard Casey

gerard.casey
    Participant

Try Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Anthology, edited by Robert E. Goodin and Philip Pettit. Published in the Blackwell Philosophy Anthologies Series.

This is a 600+ page collection of essays by very distinguished authors, some 38 essays in all covering State and Society,Democracy, Justice, Rights, Liberty, Equality etc.

I hope that this might be the kind of thing you’re looking for.

Best wishes,

Gerard Casey

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.