Ideas for New Courses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    tprovince08

Even though there’s so much great stuff here at Liberty Classroom (enough to keep most people busy for a while), and I understand there are more courses coming online shortly, I can’t help but throw out a few suggestions for new courses because I enjoy Liberty Classroom so much 🙂

1. History of Money and Banking in the US
    2. The Federal Reserve: It’s Origins and Role in (De)Forming the Economy
    3. The Rise of the American Empire: How Washington’s Wars Shaped America and the World
    4. Introduction to Finance and Investing from a Free Market/Austrian Perspective (this one is a bit different and may not be suitable for LC, but I think it might be interesting and useful for people to learn how to grow and protect wealth in a crony, manipulated, and unstable economy).

Anyone else have any ideas?

brady20
    Participant

Based on the list you provided, I’d be most interested in #4, #2, & #1. In that order.

dajepson

Anyone interested in an Austrian perspective on finance and investing would be well advised to start by reading The Dao of Capital, by Mark Spitznagel – it’s an absolutely tremendous book. Crisis Investing, by Doug Casey, is also good, though the connection to Austrian themes is less direct.

dajepson

In terms ideas for other courses, here are my top two:

1) Politically-charged Scientific Issues. Obviously, climate science would be the big one here (and hey, Murry Salby might be looking for something to do, since he’s apparently been hounded out of his most recent position), but we are also bombarded by a great deal of nonsense about nutrition and health as well. I’m sure many people would benefit from having a one-stop resource separating scientific truth from politically-approved fiction on these issues.

2) Rhetoric.

martin

I just found these lectures by investor Jim Rogers from when he taught at Columbia Business School. He talks on how investing works, how to find stocks, analysing companies to make gains in the stock market, types of company reports, supply & demand, and looking at company spreadsheets. The students pitch their ideas of stocks to invest and their decisions are questioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKD3k-oX09g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHDTFPA6P5k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2-mpbNN1Tg

Here is an extraction from Rogers recent book ‘Street Smarts’:

I am going to teach this course as if you were working for me. I am the head of research, the head of investments, at a fund, and you are going to be my analysts. I am going to give you companies to analyze, and I will teach you how to do it.” I told them how I went about analyzing companies. I gave them spreadsheets. I had the chairmen of a couple of large corporations come in, and in each case, I would sit and question the chairman as though I were a portfolio manager, an analyst, visiting him at his office, asking all the same questions I would ask if I were trying to figure out whether to invest in his company. Then I would throw it open to the students to ask questions. The assignment, after that, was to write a page, a single page—I would not accept anything longer, and I would not accept it if it were late—on what the student would do relative to that company’s stock: buy it, sell it, sell it short, or do nothing. After a few weeks of this, I had each student choose an industry to analyze—his or her choice, as long as I approved it. Say you were a student in my class and chose to be an airline analyst. We would have a dialogue in front of everybody else in the class, in which you would tell me what you thought. You would tell me how I could best make money in that industry, whether I should buy Delta, short Southwest, whatever your research told you. Everybody, I think, had three rounds. And that is the way the class worked.

I would love a course on the history of the Middle East, at least since World War II.

I would love to understand the history of that region better, especially as it relates to our foreign policy.

After listening to Professor Hunt Tooley and Tom Woods today on the Tom Woods show discussing the effects of World War 1 in the Middle East, I would like to restate how much I would love to hear a full-fledged course on the modern history of the Middle East.

There is so much conflicting information out there on the subject of the Middle East (and Israel), I think it would be invaluable to have a capable history professor teach a start-to-finish course that can help us understand clearly what happened there in the past and give perspective on what is happening now.

dardner

Hello Matt, if I recall correctly Tom has had many requests for a middle east course, which I would also be interested in, but has yet to find anyone that he would be comfortable with teaching it.

1) History of Middle East

2) History of Latin America(Colonization-Present)

3) History of Modern Africa(Colonization-Present)

The last two are of particular interest to me, since these two areas are almost COMPLETELY dominated by leftists, more specifically (especially in the case of latin america) marxists.

kmaro81
    Participant

I would just want to put my name here, along the other people that requested it, for a class on the history of the Middle East. I followed a class on WWI with Hunt Tooley at Mises University and he told us, during this class, that he was doing a lot of research on the Middle East. Since he has already given classes here at Liberty Classroom, maybe he would be able to give this class. Such a great teacher!

I don’t understand why Hunt Tooley would not be a good choice. I have heard his presentation and found him to be brilliant(including one about the 1957 Iran coup that put the Shah back into power).

The only thing I can think is that he is too busy to produce content for an entire course.

jon_gunnarsson
    Participant

I’ll add another vote for a course on the history of the Middle East.

I would also very much like to see a course on Far Eastern history. Given that Eastern (and especially Chinese) Civilization has for most of pre-modern history been on par with or superior to Western Civilization, and yet has remained largely separate, there is much to be learned about the Far East. However, I, along with most Westerners, am embarassingly ignorant about this topic. And what better time than now, when Asia has woken up from it’s centuries-long stagnation and a number of East-Asian countries have caught up or are in the process of catching up to the West?

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

I would like to see an additional lecture in the political thought course on Russell Kirk, or some other conservative and neoconservative thinker.

jpasby

I would like to see a course on the chicago school and the key figures and differences with the Austrian school. As well as its sub factions into today and maybe in the future.

Thanks

Jason

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

Is anyone else excited that Dr. Robert Murphy will be joining LibertyClassroom.com as a faculty member? I’ have attended four of his courses at the Mises academy, and I am looking forward to be able to interact with him here and go through more courses of his.

Has it been announced what kind of courses he will be doing? I don’t think it has, but I could be wrong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.