Greeks & Romans Bearing Gifts: How the Ancients Inspired the Founding Fathers?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KO_TKO

http://www.amazon.com/Greeks-Romans-Bearing-Gifts-Ancients/dp/0742556247/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373593547&sr=1-1&keywords=ancient+founding+fathers

Is the ” Greeks & Romans Bearing Gifts: How the Ancients Inspired the Founding Fathers ” a good book?

Because I find the Ancients and the Founding Fathers interesting subjects. So I think that this ook could be interesting book.

gutzmank
    Participant

I don’t know that one. The standard treatment of the subject is Richard’s THE FOUNDERS AND THE CLASSICS. I also like Rahe’s REPUBLICS ANCIENT AND MODERN, although it’s heavily Straussian. Part I (on Sparta) is stupendous.

Do you think that republicanism (largely following the classical Roman tradition) or liberalism were more influential to the thought of Jefferson and other like-minded founders?

gutzmank
    Participant

In the ’70s and ’80s, this debate flared across the historiographical landscape. Some said “republicanism.” Others countered “liberalism.” Still others tried to push the influence of republicanism and liberalism into later and later periods of American history.

In the end, former proponents of the “republicanism” argument, such as Lance Banning, conceded that both liberal and republican ideas influenced the Revolution and the Founding, with virtually every serious thinker and nearly all notable politicians drawing from one and the other of the two threads at different times.

I have myself profited from works produced by both camps, which is why a few days back I responded to a query about my favorite American historians by offering a list of historians including prominent advocates of the Republican Thesis (Wood, Banning, McCoy) and the leading advocate of the Liberalism Counter-Thesis (Appleby).

Yes, that books is quite good, and so is his “Founders and the Classics.”

KO_TKO

I just have ordererd “Greeks & Romans Bearing Gifts: How the Ancients Inspired the Founding Fathers ” via the internet.

KO_TKO

I have now read the book.

It’s a very good book and I learned alot about the Greeks and Romans.

But I don’t understand what’s so special about the founding fathers?

According to the book they tried to learn from the ancients, but they had different opinions about the lessons among themselves.

gutzmank
    Participant

The reason “they tried to learn from the ancients” is that the educated ones were all educated by reading the ancients. One wouldn’t be surprised that they differed about the lessons the ancients taught.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.