Free Speech on College Campuses

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    craigartzner

Hey guys,

I have a question about free speech rights. I’ve been hearing about colleges and universities who have speech codes and other rules that prohibit students from expressing views that the administrations feel are offensive and “politically incorrect”. The videos I’ve seen are from liberty-minded organizations that I identify with, but are they correct to oppose the universities in principle?

To follow this to a logical conclusion as far as property rights are concerned, wouldn’t a private college or university have the right to enact such codes and rules, as private property must be respected?

On the other hand, a state school or college should not have such a right, correct?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Yes, private institutions are justified in having such rules. I think F.I.R.E. and similar organizations focus their criticisms on state schools.

Of course, private schools that have codes of this sort are vulnerable to charges of hypocrisy if they claim to favor free and open discussion of controversial issues.

patriciacolling
    Participant

It occurred to me that the tax payer should not be subsidizing schools that restrict speech whether it come from subsidize loans or whatever; so, in order to obtain payment by loans secured by the government, it may stand to reason that the schools are subject to the same rules as congress, no? I may be reaching but it’s worth a try. 🙂

craigartzner

Yes Patricia that sounds plausible. That being said, I think the ideal should be that the government shouldn’t be in the role of subsidizing the education in the first place.

But I don’t see any reason that your idea shouldn’t apply in the meantime. Maybe one of the staff guys can enlighten further.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.