Federalist Assurances at Ratification

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    koop21

Professor McClanahan,
    In the lectures on the Philadelphia Convention and Ratification you claim many times that the so-called “Federalists” like Hamilton would often make assurances that the government of the Constitution was federalist in nature and limited in scope. However, you did not provide many examples of actual quotations. Could you provide some quotes from various Federalists that support this? It would be nice to have numerous concrete examples to provide as evidence in discussions.

gutzmank
    Participant

James Wilson said so in his speech at the Philadelphia Statehouse a couple of weeks after the Philadelphia Convention. James Madison, George Nicholas, and Governor Edmund Randolph repeatedly said so in Virginia, as I detail in JAMES MADISON AND THE MAKING OF AMERICA and VIRGINIA’S AMERICAN REVOLUTION. Hamilton said so in THE FEDERALIST. Cushing said so in an unpublished editorial in Massachusetts. Charles Cotesworth Pinckney said so in a public address in South Carolina. James Iredell said so in North Carolina. I could go on, but the point is that Dr. McClanahan is right, and the evidence is overwhelming. In fact, I’d argue that this was the Federalists’ chief claim.

What Kevin said, and he didn’t list them all.

koop21

I wasnt trying to imply that Dr. McClanahan was not right. I just am looking for a few specific places I can refer people that show major federalists obviously and explicitly taking the position that the Constitution would serve as a legitimate limit on government power.

I appreciate the various instances. Are there any that provide a brief yet damning indictment that would be persuasive evidence in a debate?

gutzmank
    Participant

I’m not sure what exactly you want. Are you asking for readings produced during the ratification campaign in which Federalists said the Federal Government would have limited powers? If so, start with The Federalist, then look at Friends of the Constitution, and take a look at the ratification chapters of my Madison biography and my Virginia’s American Revolution. See Dr. McClanahan’s The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution. In general, this was the chief point that the Federalists made, in every state.

sukotsh2

I just participated in the live chat this evening. I asked the tax question. I know that the taxing clause in the constitution was controversial. I am particularly interested in the legality of the constitutionality of the 16th amendment. I have come to understand that the 16th was really intended as an excise tax on corporate profit. Irwin schiff and others have addressed this . You and other libertarian historians and economics should tackle this topic. When we report income taxes we are basically forced to surrender our 5th amendment rights. The gov reserves the right (the IRS) to seize our property without due process.
    The 16th amendment in additional to being enforced entirely contrary to its intended prupose also directly conflicts with other amendments and guaranteed rights already established.

sukotsh2

…and by the way if libertarians are ever going to have any hope of scaling back government we must find a way to repeal and eliminate most taxes and the income tax is one of them. You fight a cancer by cutting off its ability to feed and grow on the body. Cutting or eliminating the income tax would be starving the beast. this would be a great project for the liberty movement . To show how destructive , immoral and really illegal the income tax system is.

koop21

I was really just looking for a few specific quotes or links to find them quickly for a debate. I will be sure to examine the books you mentioned for the exact wording.

gutzmank
    Participant

It’s easy to find Hamilton’s Federalist essays, Wilson’s Statehouse speech, etc., online.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.