Examples of U.S. Senators being recalled by States

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    bfpharmd14

Hello there, I am working on some research regarding the 17th Amendment. I understand that it basically took away the states represenation from the federal government.

What I need is evidence of states recalling US senators prior to the 17th amendment for misconduct or not doing their duties correctly. Can anyone provide names or even states that you are aware of took this action sometime in American History? I haven’t been successfull with any internet searches. If examples exist, I think it would be helpful to show people that senators can be held more accountable this way then how they currently are elected.

Thanks to anyone who helps!

No State allowed for recalling Senators. It was discussed in 1788 during ratification, but nothing ever came of it. New York considered it as a possible amendment in their ratifying convention. In fact, many Senators ignored directions from the State legislatures.

gutzmank
    Participant

What Dr. McClanahan says is true, but there were some states — such as Virginia — in which it was traditional for senators to resign in case they came into disagreement with their legislatures.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.