Elementary Lessons in Logic by William Stanley Jevons

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    andrew.esselbach
    Participant

I ran across Elementary Lessons in Logic by William Stanley Jevons at the Mises online bookstore and was wondering if it was a book that was worth getting and that you would recommend reading?

Thanks,

-Andrew

gerard.casey
    Participant

Yes, by all means. It won’t do any harm to take a look at it. However, I would suggest that it would perhaps be advisable to go all the way through the LC course first to avoid any possible confusion caused by different methods of presentation.

Like all logic books of that period, Jevons’s is essentially a presentation of Aristotelian logic which is what I’m doing in my course. You could looks at sections VIII, IX, X, XV, XX and XXI to provide some supplementary reading to material I cover.

The book is available for PDF download from the Mises Institute at http://mises.org/library/elementary-lessons-logic so that, unless you’re uncomfortable reading online, there would be no compelling reason to buy it in hard copy.

Best wishes,

Gerard

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

Thanks. I started to slowly go through the LC course, but I wanted to ask about this book because I don’t remember you mentioning it, and it is available to read online for free. But I will try to finish your course first.

Thanks again,

-Andrew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.