Dr. J, Question on the Lectures

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    siabaa

Professor Jewell,

I have a multimedia aspect to a class this term that involves PowerPoint and there are bonus to having it narrated and played as a video on YouTube. I really like the way your video lectures were set up and was wondering how you did it in that way. If you could share this I’d be grateful!

I credit your lectures with me having As throughout my terms since I got out of the military in July and started classes at Troy in August of 2012. Western Civ I and II and Europe throughout the 19th Century. To wit, I’m doing Russia since 1861 this term and was wondering if you had any recommendation for video lectures or material of that nature I could get to. I’ve used your lectures to play in the background covering the time periods up to this point and plan to do so again.

~ Dan

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Thanks for your feedback. I apologize for the slow reply; I’ve been out of town without internet access for several days.

I recorded all the series lectures using the Camtasia screen-casting software with the PIP (picture in a picture) option to video myself. The software is a little pricey, but with an academic discount you can get it for less than $200. There may be more cost-effective options out there.

As for Russia since 1861, I have done a little searching on Youtube myself for materials that would help supplement my Modern Europe course without discovering anything great. You can find some interesting documentaries about specific events or rulers, though.

siabaa

Well, as far as the Russia since 1861 I did find a couple of things to help with my term paper. My topic is the Last Tsar, particularly the Imperial Couple. I found an open Yale lecture which the professor basically claimed the couple got what was coming to them in the end – not very pleasant really… I also found an A&E biography about the last Tsar which had some of the British Royal family in it to assist with the story telling. That one came across as the Royals merely got bad advice and were out of touch. I talked to my professor over the phone about it and he said those are the most common view points on the couple. It is the same professor from my previous Europe class and he enjoyed my term paper last time around (Italian Unification). He said if I paraphrase more and work on my prose (at times it is admittedly awkward) then I should do fine with this paper.

I did find a few narratives about Modern Russia, but as you say, there was not anything great. I’m just going to have to do old school style of learning and hit the books; the professor’s lectures, assigned text, and google to search for clarification. I am using some of your later lectures, unfortunately, they take some broad strokes so it’s really just peripheral this time around.

As for my term paper, I purchased the books you had listed in your Russian Revolution lecture as they were also cited by my professor. I also purchased books that were recommended due to my purchases by Amazon and if the authors had other works for the same subject. Is there anything that pops into your head concerning the last Tsar that may help?

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Nothing come to mind at the moment. If I think of anything, I’ll let you know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.