Commentaries on the Constitution

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shawn.warren1
    Participant

I have been listening to the audio for these lectures while at work. I heard one of the Professors mention the different commentaries on the Constitution and that you could get them free online. I have been looking for the one by John Taylor of Caroline and have not been able to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction or is there a central location that has these commentaries? Thank you.

gutzmank
    Participant

Taylor didn’t properly speaking write a commentary on the Constitution–that is, a clause-by-clause exegesis. However, he did write several important books on constitutional questions.

shawn.warren1
    Participant

Thank you for the clarification Prof. Gutzman. I also want to take the time to tell you that I found your book, James Madison & The Making of America, Very informative and very enjoyable.

gutzmank
    Participant

I’m glad to hear it. I hope you read the paperback, which has a new introductory essay entitled “James Madison and the American Ideal of Religious Liberty.” You’re welcome.

shawn.warren1
    Participant

It is the hard back copy. I Just ordered Virginia’s American revolution, Who killed the Constitution, and Brion’s book The Founding Fathers Guide to the Constitution. I look forward to reading them when they get here. I do have a question though. What Commentary on the Constitution would you recommend or Professor Brion which one would you recommend? Thank you.

Abel P. Upshur’s A Brief Enquiry into the Nature and Character of our Federal Government is excellent and can be found for free online.

shawn.warren1
    Participant

Thank you Prof. McClanahan. I was able to find it and printed it off.

gutzmank
    Participant

If you read VAR carefully, you’ll find interesting material on Upshur and the 1829-30 convention that has never been mentioned anywhere else.

“If you read VAR carefully….” You are asking much, at least from the academic establishment. Your last name is not Foner.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.