Charity before the 20th century?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RedsPwnAll

I would like to know if there’s a book or any article of sort that shows any prominent examples of private charity throughout centuries or anything of the sort? I ask because it’s been one the so-called weaknesses of a Free Market. That charity the only social security net has been tried (all of history prior to the 20th century), and it wasn’t very impressive.

jmherbener
    Participant

As this introduction to the book Charity, Philanthropy, and Civility in American History demonstrates, there is a large literature on the topic.

http://catdir.loc.gov/catdir/samples/cam033/2002025655.pdf

A general point to keep in mind is that the market economy has raised standards of living to heights unimaginable just 200 years ago. If there was less charity before the nineteenth century, one reason might be that people were poor. Imagine the efficacy charity could achieve today if governments didn’t interfere with it. Even bearing the enormous burden of their destructive welfare programs, we are so productive through market activity that most everyone can be charitable.

woods
    Participant

Prof. Herbener is correct. A popular overview of the subject is Marvin Olasky’s The Tragedy of American Compassion.

RedsPwnAll

Thank you! I’ll check all recommendations out when time permits! I figured some work must have existed about it, but it seemed pretty obscured.

Also, I would check out “From Mutual Aid to the Welfare State: Fraternal Societies and Social Services, 1890-1967” by David t. Beito, it’s a very interesting read.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.