Books regarding the wars

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andrew.esselbach
    Participant

I keep seeing references to these books on the two world wars, and I’m curious if you recommend any of them?

Politics of War: The Story of Two Wars Which Altered Forever the Political Life of the
    American Republic – Walter Karp

America Goes to War – Charles C. Tansill

Back Door to War: The Roosevelt Foreign Policy 1933-1941 – Charles C. Tanshill

The Origins of The Second World War – A.J.P Taylor

Also, have there been any good books written on Operation Iraqi Freedom, challenging the mainstream justifications for the invasion? As an OIF combat vet, I still haven’t completely figured out why I was over there fighting and terrorizing those poor people.

woods
    Participant

I like all of those books. On Operation Iraqi Freedom you might consult the two Neo-Conned books, which I review here: http://archive.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods51.html

I’m sure there are others. I have been considering reading Craig White’s book Iraq: The Moral Reckoning.

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

If you don’t mind me asking, is there a reason that these books were not included in the recommended readings for the WW1 and WW2 lectures?

Because time is somewhat limited, if you had to pick just one or two to recommend reading, what books would you choose for WW1 and also for WW2?

Thanks.

Tansill is one of the best American historians of the 20th century. He sacrificed his career to offer stinging criticism of Roosevelt’s foreign policy.

samgheb
    Participant

Taylor’s book is a classic but I really Patrick Buchanan’s newer book on WWII “The Unnecessary War” which is ideal for the intelligent laymen. He explains WWI as well so it is almost a 2 for 1 deal with this book. In case you might think Buchanan is not a good historian read Robert Higg’s review of the book:
    http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/churchill-hitler-and-the-unnecessary-war#axzz2qICVtOmL

woods
    Participant

The Buchanan book is good, but it doesn’t have much to do with the U.S. (if that’s what you’re looking for). For that, you should read the discussion of Wilson and World War I in Buchanan’s book A Republic, Not an Empire.

When I did the readings for my presentations, I didn’t think of myself as providing a bibliography. I was trying to come up with a reading or two that a busy person might plausibly do. The WWII reading list was assembled by guest lecturer Hunt Tooley.

On World War I, I recommend the book I suggest in my video: Hunt Tooley, The Western Front. It’s more up-to-date than any of those old books. On World War II overall, the Buchanan book is indeed very good.

andrew.esselbach
    Participant

That makes sense. Sometimes I forget that not everyone else reads as much as I do.

Thanks again.

I’m not a historian and have not read history nearly as extensively as most people in this forum, but I thought the Herbert Hoover book “Freedom Betrayed” was excellent. Hoover is one of my least favorite presidents, but he was suspicious of FDR’s motives in regards to WWII from day 1. This book changed my opinion of FDR. Prior to reading this book, I thought FDR was a communist sympathizer. After reading the book, there is no doubt that FDR was a communist.

gutzmank
    Participant

Alexander Werth’s RUSSIA AT WAR, 1941-45 Is excellent. The description of the Siege of Leningrad is unforgettable.

tprovince08

On OIF, Esselbach, you might want to check out COBRA II by Michael R. Gordon and Gen. Bernard E. Trainor. It’s been a while since I’ve read it, but this was one of the books that helped me along in my transition from neocon to non-interventionist. While not exactly anti-establishment or out of the mainstream, the book does provide the non-interventionist reader with an incredible amount of information – more than enough ammo to show what a disaster the war was even from the planning stages.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.