Books about the Spanish-American war

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eltee88

I’m looking for some recommendations for books about the Spanish-American War.
    The whole concept of America ending up in possession of far flung places is intriguing to me.

cboyack
    Keymaster

I bought this on clearance several weeks ago and have not read it, but it looks interesting: The War Lovers: Roosevelt, Lodge, Hearst, and the Rush to Empire, 1898

There’s also a chapter on the Spanish-American War in The Costs of War: America’s Pyrrhic Victories, available from mises,org.

With the Exception of Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, the Spanish-American War seems to be sparsely covered in American History these days…maybe if that weren’t the case, we wouldn’t be rushing to establish our Empire…

woods
    Participant

In addition to the above recommendations, the relevant sections of Walter LaFeber’s book The New Empire are useful; for the Philippine aspect of the story, see Stuart Creighton Miller, “Benevolent Assimilation”: The American Conquest of the Philippines, 1899–1903 (1982) and Daniel B. Schirmer, Republic or Empire: American Resistance to the Philippine War (1972).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.