Book Recommendation on Northern Ireland Situation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    maester_miller
    Participant

Dr. J,

I was wondering if you had any recommendation for books on the issue of Northern Ireland. I’m looking for something of a general history of how exactly the situation came to be, as well as some modern analysis. Anything you could recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

–Matt

tmartinell41

Hi Matt,

I know your question was put to Dr. Jewell, but I happened to write a research paper on the Irish Troubles in college and several books were indispensable to my research that I’d highly recommend. Dr. Jewell may have other works in mind, but I thought I’d share mine as well.

The Origins of the Present Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Making Sense of the Troubles: The Story of the Conflict in Northern Ireland.

The Course of Irish History

Best,

TJ

P.S. I also asked Professor Casey about his take on the Troubles during the last live QA session (at around 33 minutes into it) if you’re interested in hearing his assessment of it.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Matt, I guess it would depend on how far back you wish to go to get context. Anglo-Norman incursions into Ireland began in the 12th century. In addition to the titles TJ mentions above, you might wish to take a look at biographies of some figures like Michael Collins or Eamon de Valera to get historical context. I’m sure there’s at least one good book about the Easter Rising out there, but I am not really up on the bibliography of 20th-century Ireland. I suspect Prof. Casey would know more.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.