Book advise and someother stuff.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

My name is Evan Roberts, I am 22, started college recently and I am in the Honors academy at San Antonio College, a small community college in San Antonio. The professor who heads the honors academy is asking for suggestions on books that they could possibly get for extra reading. I am not completely sure of his political background, but one of the other professors, a political science teacher, is extremely liberal. I was wondering if their were any books that I could possibly suggest to him that she might okay and also open some of my classmates minds that government isn’t necessarily the answer. Also how would one be able to get past the student teacher barrier and get the political science professor I mentioned, who is also my adviser, to actually listen to me and not blow me off. She seems pretty set in her ways, so I am not sure if it is even possible. Thank you for any advice, it will be greatly appreciated.
    Evan Roberts

woods
    Participant

Do they give you any direction other than “suggest some books”? Can they be on economics, philosophy, history, etc.? Literally any books at all?

No direction. I assume as long as it’s in the name of edcation it is ok. Was thinking of trying to sneak in some Mises or some good philosophy. Just worried it won’t be to the liking of certain professors. Particularly one who feels it’s her job to convert others to her political philosophy. I just want to give some off my classmates something to help them think more critically.

jmherbener
    Participant

Thank you very much Dr. Herbener. Read through them a bit and I think they will be a great addition. Will have to reread those through completely. Probably going to see if I can get Human Action on the shelf as well. Any advice on how to explain economics to a professor of mine without her completely ignoring me? Thanks again sir.

rt

Check out Frédéric Bastiat’s book “The Law”.

“The Law” would be very good. Short and easy to discuss. We conduct book studies here in SWFL on this book and they are always well attended.

jmherbener
    Participant

Evan, I think the best strategy for having a fruitful discussion with one of your professors is to know her positions well enough to ask her provocative questions. If she struggles with an answer, then point her to the relevant literature. With a political science professor, listen to what she says about economics and economists. In private conversations, ask her what literature she has read on economic topics or by economists. Bring up some arguments by economists who write about politics, like Mancur Olson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mancur_Olson

hheathman
    Participant

Maybe some of Gerard Casey’s new logic courses will help too 😉

Haven’t been on in a while. I would like to thank all of you for your input, you have all been quite helpful.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.