Best Minarchist Book?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jason Jewell
    Participant

Hey, all. As some of you may remember from the live session earlier this month, I’m in the final stages of submitting material on libertarianism for a book on Christian faith and social justice. The editor has asked me for a list of recommended books for readers who want to dig deeper into the topic.

I’m discussing both anarchist and minarchist perspectives in my essay. Obviously I’m going to recommend Rothbard et al for the anarchist position. I’m wondering what Liberty Classroom members have found to be the most persuasive minarchist book aimed at a general audience.

Any thoughts? Mises and Hayek are obvious choices, but I’d like to recommend something more recent.

I need a quick turnaround on this, so rapid responses (tomorrow) would be greatly appreciated.

gutzmank
    Participant

In no particular order:

1) THOMAS JEFFERSON: WRITINGS
    2) Charles Murray, IN PURSUIT: OF HAPPINESS AND GOOD GOVERNMENT
    3) Charles Murray, LOSING GROUND
    4) Friedman & Friedman, FREE TO CHOOSE
    5) John Taylor, TYRANNY UNMASKED

siabaa

I remember coming across Ayn Rand and Rothbard at the same time back in 2007/8. It was a discussion on an online forum for Ron Paul’s 2008 campaign. It was the first time I heard minarchist and the first time I heard anarchist positively… Not knowing much about the people or terms I googled it. Anarchism/Minarchism: Is a Government Part of a Free Country? by Roderick T. Long and Tibor R. Machan came up. I had a friend purchase it and ship it to me overseas. I was a minarchist for a long while because of Ron Paul and Machan.

The joke about libertarian/minarchist to anarchist only being six months was more like four years for me. Tom mentioned it in a video and made me give Rothbard and anarcho-capitalism another look. Reading more Rothbard directly led to the selling of the book, haha.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.