Article IV Section 4

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lambowolf

Dr. Gutzman, (Professor McClanahan as well)

I think someone asked you about this clause on Facebook recently.

It had me wondering…

The line of “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government”

In 18th Century political thinking, could a Republic exist and not be a sovereign state?

gutzmank
    Participant

No.

dlspence_58
    Participant

Since this thread is on Article IV, Section 4, my question has to do with the “domestic violence” portion of the clause:
    “The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, and shall protect each of them against invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened) against domestic Violence.”

What was the Founder’s intent on the domestic violence portion?

Thank you

dlspence_58
    Participant

No answer????

gutzmank
    Participant

James Madison’s “Vices of the Political System of the United States” listed the inability of Congress to intervene in case of events such as Shays’ Rebellion within a state. This concern seems to have been the chief motivating factor here. During the ratification contest, the idea that it also meant the US Government could intervene to suppress slave insurrection was also mentioned by both sides, depending on the state.

dlspence_58
    Participant

Thank you for your response!

gutzmank
    Participant

No, a republic certainly was a sovereign state. I suppose one might call a province’s government “republican,” however, without its being sovereign–just as one might have a masculine attribute without being a man.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.