Anti-slavery movement and newspapers located in Southern/Slave states???

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    malcolmarnoldnyc
    Participant

Hello,

At 20:30-21:00 of the Missouri Crisis lecture by Brion McClanahan in U.S. Constitutional History said, “the South had been struggle with this issue(slavery) too…from the Founding Period….almost all of your abolitionist societies were in the South, so all of you abolitionsist papers till middle of the 19th century were in the South. The South had been wrestling with this issue too….”

I have searched the web to try to find anything on this and have not been able to. I would very much like to know what the anti-slavery movement looked like in the south compared with the north. How these comparisons changed over time. What were the #’s of people involved in each? Were the arguments different? Were the solutions proposed different? Where were the centers of the anti-slavery movement in the south? Who made up this movement and was the cross-section of people within the movement in south different from region to region as their economic, political or religious views/interests were different?

Are there any books or articles on this subject?

Any help with this subject would be greatly appreciated. This is the very first time I have heard anything of this nature.

Thanks in advance,

BTW, will searching the forum for this topic to see if it had been posted already, I found this excellent article by Donald W. Livingston which covers some topics of slavery and it’s connection or non-connection to secession.

https://mises.org/library/lincolns-inversion-american-union#ref4

Most Southerners who advocated ending slavery favored either manumission or colonization and the majority of these people were to be found in Virginia. George Mason, for example, has long been considered an early advocate of ending the institution, and by the end of his life so was Washington.

The Southern movement was not as radical nor vocal as that which started to pop up in the North in the early 19th century, and no Southern anti-slavery movement matched the zeal of Garrison or Beecher, et. al. Southern anti-slavery proponents were not militant and after Nat Turner most refrained from advancing the message if they still harbored any support for eradicating slavery.

Peter Kolchin’s American Slavery is a solid treatment of the institution, as is Louis Filler’s Slavery in the United States of America.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.