Advice for a new teacher

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    petersonclarence
    Participant

If I could get basic advise/guidance from any of the faculty that would be great. I’m in grad school studying the teach grades 7-12 Social Studies, and I got a tutoring position for the first time. I will be covering late 19th Century and early 20th Century Europe, and topics such as European Colonization in Africa, Imperialism, and Social Darwinism. I will review all the lectures on these subjects on Liberty Classroom and the Ron Paul Home School Curriculum. But this is the first time I’ve been more than just a teaching assistant, and I’m a little nervous. Can you give me any advice before Saturday, like what should I most emphasize? – Clarence

Jason Jewell
    Participant

Clarence, it looks like I’m getting to this late, but here’s a thought or two:

Evaluating imperialism as a bad thing seems obvious at first glance from a libertarian perspective, and I think even after careful examination it comes out as a net negative. However, if the concern is for individual liberty, it’s worth pointing out that Western imperialism did increase that in many respects by doing things like ending the slave trade and oppressive local practices such as suttee. It also increased the worldwide division of labor and improved standards of living.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.