Abortion and Liberty

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    derosa8

I have not seen this topic brought up often in liberty circles, perhaps because there are big disagreements about it. But I would love to hear thoughts in this forum about some views from pro-liberty folks. Here are some relevant questions:

1. Do you believe abortion is morally wrong in the general case? [E.g. not in the case of endangerment of the mother’s life]

2. Who should decide the legality of abortion and trimester limitations, etc. Should it be the federal government, the state government, or if there was no government how would this be monitored?

3. The U.S. is an interesting scenario, since many people believe abortion is wrong, but don’t think force should be used to prevent people want access to it. For those who think abortion is wrong, would it also be wrong to initiate force against those who are trying to have an abortion?

Any comments or thoughts would be helpful.

patrick t mcd
    Participant

1. Yes abortion is morally wrong if there is no possible harm to anyone. We live in a society that allows people to raise children without destroying their own lives. Capitalism has made it cheap enough to get buy even if the mother is out of wed lock.

2. State Governments. State governments should change their laws according to the votes casted by their constituents. This way people with vastly different views could simply move to the state of their preference.

3. Having all that I have said. I still believe it is a woman’s right to choose. Even though it is immoral a woman should be allowed to pay (solely) for their own abortion.

Jason Jewell
    Participant

“For those who think abortion is wrong, would it also be wrong to initiate force against those who are trying to have an abortion?”

The tricky thing here is that if abortion is murder, forcibly stopping someone from having an abortion is not an initiation of force, any more so than intervening with force to stop a violent assault or a “normal” homicide is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.