Reply To: Reading Suggestion

jeff.meek2244
Participant

Professor Gutzman,

I noticed you said you’ve never read Taylor’s book but that is the recommended reading suggesting for lecture 1 of the course. Just wanted to make sure I got the right book or there wasn’t a mistake in the reading list. Maybe you recommended it because its highly thought of in the profession?

I’m half way through it and have enjoyed it but noticed some reviews criticize it for a left leaning bias. I can see where they are coming from but personally didn’t find it over the top. One of the blurbs on the book says “Taylor challenges the traditional story of colonial history”. I’m no expert on the subject so its hard for me to know what parts of his book are new interpretations of events. Or are they mainly saying he just doesn’t tell it soley from the view of the colonizer’s?

It was edited by Eric Foner who I know Brion McClanahan doesn’t think very highly of. Just want to make sure its the book you meant to recommend and if so why.

Lastly, what other suggestions for that topic (the early colonial period) would you give in terms of a general history?