Reply To: Some questions

kbxcoop

I read Human Action and Theory and History, and I am curious on the determinism and free will doctrine. If I read Mises right, he states that determinism is correct in that there is cause and effect that leads up to the current state of affairs (environment, physiology, and experience) while free will doctrine is correct in that people rationalize all actions they can take and choose the action the actor believes will best suit him. He further goes on to say that both of these doctrines neglect the role of ideas and the ability of the human mind to think of cause and effect. It seems like he is saying that the range of actions an individual will rationalize and choose to take is determined by the actions that happened due to prior events and actions that took place before, but at the same time it is ideas of individuals and prior ideas that humans experience from past individuals that guide humans to take certain actions.

For example, a person 100 years ago has an idea of the automobile and how it works, and now today, due to the circumstances and knowledge that has been learned, a person has the ability to think of the idea of working at a car factory and rationalize the action to see if it is the best action to take. Is this a correct way of summarizing his point?